YouTube is a consumer media company for people to watch and share original videos worldwide through a Web experience. Everyone can watch videos on YouTube—both on YouTube.com and across the Internet. People can see first-hand accounts of current events, find videos about their hobbies and interests, and discover the quirky and unusual.
As more people capture special moments on video, YouTube is empowering them to become the broadcasters of tomorrow. YouTube is a place for people to engage in new ways with video by sharing, commenting on, and viewing videos. YouTube originally started as a personal video sharing service, and has grown into an entertainment destination with people watching more than 100 million videos on the site daily.
Outside quote about company:
Quoted on YouTube.com: “The YouTube and NBC partnership symbolizes what can happen when traditional media companies and new media companies find common ground,” said John Miller, Chief Marketing Officer, NBC Universal Television Group. “YouTube is the perfect online media partner to promote NBC’s marquee entertainment to their audience and explore new and creative ways to harness the power of viral video in a manner that respects copyrights. We applaud YouTube for their continued willingness to work with us to remove any unauthorized NBC content and protect our copyrighted material. We are thrilled to be partnering with this forward-thinking company.”
* Upload, tag and share videos worldwide
* Browse millions of original videos uploaded by community members
* Find, join and create video groups to connect with people who have similar interests
* Customize the experience by subscribing to member videos, saving favorites, and creating playlists
* Integrate YouTube videos on websites using video embeds or APIs
* Make videos public or private—users can elect to broadcast their videos publicly or share them privately with friends and family upon upload
Chad Hurley, Steve Chen, and Jawed Karim founded YouTube, Inc. on February 14, 2005. Jawed Karim left the company to pursue an advanced degree at Stanford. YouTube received funding from Sequoia Capital in November 2005 and the service was officially launched in December 2005. Chad Hurley and Steve Chen proceeded to become the first members of the YouTube management team and currently serve as Chief Executive Officer and Chief Technology Officer respectively.